Dublin High Sea Turtle and Forest Ecology 2014

Dublin High Sea Turtle and Forest Ecology 2014 Blog #3

This entry was written by Adrian Loaiza of Dublin High

Costa Rica day 3: 8/3/14
Moving Day! We are finally going to change cabins from the forest to
the beach. Once we wake up, we spend about a half-hour packing before
we pack our things on the bus and eat breakfast. For breakfast, we
were served ham & eggs with pancakes on the side. It was really an
amazing start to the day. After breakfast, we hopped on the bus to
start our ride to the next lodge, The Imperial. The drive up here took
about 3 hours, with a “happy stop” in the middle.

During the car ride, about every one of us fell asleep all because of
the long day we just had. But once we arrived, that was all behind
us…all because of the hot, humid sun. Yes, the rumors proved to be
very real. We knew we would get used to it eventually, but it felt
like time would just slow down completely.

We were given our first lunch as soon as we arrived. We had some form
of pork, a salad, rice, and beans. A great way to start out this next
experience! After our meal, we drove just down the road to our lodge,
where we were given our assigned rooms and key. It ended up being a
slight upgrade! The rooms were bigger, which means more space, and we
finally got wi-fi! Once we all settled in, we grouped together to have
a meeting about the sea turtles, what is done to protect them, and
talked about what we were going to do for the next 2 nights on the sea
turtle patrol. After the meeting, we followed our sea turtle expert
Gabriel to the hatchery where we would learn the rules of guarding the
hatchery and earn how to properly dig a hole specifically for the sea
turtle eggs. Once we finished up, we were split into two teams to go
out on patrol separately tonight, one team would walk starting at 8,
while the other went at 10.

After the quick demo, we didn’t have much time to spare until dinner.
We were given rice, beans, mixed vegetables, and some form of sausage
covered in sauce. Yum! Once we finished our dinners, we headed back to
our lodge for about an hour before the first group would go out on
patrol. When the first team left, we had to walk with our flashlights
off, and the only light we had was the moonlight. Otherwise, the
turtles could get scared off. There wasn’t very much that happened for
either groups the first night. We didn’t really get to see any sea
turtles just yet, so now we just hope that we get to see something
tomorrow night!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s